With a new term there’s often a great sense of anticipation. What can you expect for the weeks that lie ahead? The Book of Exodus has it all.
“Exodus is an adventure story par excellence. It features a cruel villain (Pharaoh), an unlikely hero (Moses), overwhelming disasters (the plagues), a spectacular deliverance (crossing the Red Sea), a long journey (through the wilderness), a mountaintop experience (where Moses received the Ten Commandments), and a grand finale (the presence of God coming down to the ark of the covenant, filling the tabernacle with glory). The story features unexpected setbacks and unpredictable delays, magic tricks (from Pharaoh’s sorcerers) and miracles, feasts and festivals, music and dancing, and many close encounters with the living God.” ESV Study Bible
But why read it at all, it is an old book, has anything to say to us today? Speaking about the Exodus generation, the apostle Paul makes an amazing claim. 1 Corinthians 10:11 “These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the fulfilment of the ages has come.”
This book wasn’t just recording events that happened or the national history of Israel; it was also written to teach Christian believers. This is our family history.
Not only does it tell us the story of God’s people, but also of God. Their God is our God.
Download the Teaching programme here.
- Exodus 1 – The God who knows 4th September 2011
- Exodus 2 – The Saviour is saved! 11th September 2011
- Exodus 3 – The God who is 18th September 2011
- Exodus 4 – Excuses and what to do with them! 25th September 2011
- Exodus 7-10 – The Plagues: Know that I am the LORD 2nd October 2011
- Exodus 12:1-28 The Passover: Salvation from Judgement 16th October 2011
- Exodus 14:1-31 The Red Sea: Salvation through Judgement 23rd October 2011
- Exodus 16 Grumbling and Grub 6th November 2011
- Exodus 20:1-21 Rules for Rescued People 13th November 2011
- Exodus 24 Covenant: People living with God 20th November 2011
- Exodus 25-31 Tabernacle: God living with People 27th November 2011
- Exodus 32 Worshipping the Idol 4th December 2011
- Exodus 34 The Glory of the Gospel 11th December 2011